i love martha so much.
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk, room temp
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, room temp
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (i used 1 1/2, because ali abarca taught me to always add more vanilla)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- frosting and/or confectioners sugar to put on tops of cupcakes
- preheat oven to 350. line muffin tins with paper liners. sift cake flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. combine milk and cream in separate bowl.
- with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. add eggs one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. beat in vanilla. add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with 2 additions of the milk mixture. beat until combined.
- to make chocolate batter: measure out one cup of batter, transfer to other bowl. combine cocoa and boiling water in a bowl. stir into reserved 1 cup batter.
- fill prepared cups with alternating spoonfuls vanilla and chocolate batter, filling each 3/4 full. run toothpick through batter in figure-eight pattern to make swirls. bake, rotating half-way through, until tops are golden and cake tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes. transfer to wire racks to cool completely.