recipe from martha stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/316586/red-velvet-chocolate-cake
- Yield: Makes 1 two-layer cake
- Unsalted butter, for cake pans
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Seven Minute Frosting Seven-Minute Frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter two 9-by-2-inch round cake pans. Sprinkle with flour, and tap out the excess; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk cake flour, salt, and cocoa; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar and oil, and beat on medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add food coloring and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- In a small bowl, mix baking soda and vinegar until combined. Add to batter, and beat for 10 seconds. Evenly divide batter between the prepared pans.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Remove from the pans, and return to the rack to cool completely.
If you want your cake to be even redder, increase the food coloring by one to three tablespoons.