adapted from martha stewart http://www.marthastewart.com/269149/pureed-vegetable-soups
this recipe is great because you can substitute any vegetables you want– next time i want to try beets!
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt/ pepper
- bullion cube
- ~4 cups water
- 1 small sweet potato
- 8 large carrots
- 1 acorn squash
- chop onion and put it in a heavy-bottomed pot with olive oil. cook on high heat for about a minute, then reduce to medium-low or low and let cook, stirring occasionally. add salt and pepper.
- while onion is cooking, dice vegetables into 1/2 inch chunks. when onion is translucent, add vegetables to pot. pour in enough water to cover vegetables, add bullion, turn up heat and bring water to boil. add whatever spices you like. at this point, i separated the soup into two pots– paul and i put curry/ smoked paprika/ turmeric in one, and oregano/ onion powder/ thyme in the other.
- after water boils, reduce heat to let water simmer for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are softened.
- remove some of the water into a separate container– don’t throw it out yet, in case you want to thin out the soup a bit.
- put the rest of the broth and vegetables into a food processor and process it until it’s at the desired consistency. add more broth back if needed. season with salt and pepper and serve.