i can’t rant about this enough, this was the best ice cream ever.
recipe from here:
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Key lime zest
- 1/3 cup Key lime juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed graham crackers
- Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat again, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened a bit– about 5 minutes or less, probably.
- Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids. Add vanilla and stir well. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture; chill 8 to 24 hours.
- Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions; stir in Key lime zest, Key lime juice, and crushed graham crackers halfway through freezing. Store in freezer-safe container, and then let stand at room temperature 5 to 10 minutes before serving.