these were SO GOOD and so easy! definitely will make them many more times. major note: use a salmon with a high fat content/ don’t cook longer than necessary so these don’t dry out at all
recipe adapted from epicurious:
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1/2-1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/4 plain yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- lemon wedges
Mix together salmon, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup yogurt, egg, coriander, cayenne, 1 tablespoon chives, 1 teaspoon zest, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Season with black pepper and form into 4 cakes (4 inches in diameter).
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook salmon cakes, turning over once, until golden and just cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes total.
Stir together yogurt, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining tablespoon chives, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon zest. Serve salmon cakes with sauce.
Serve with: Moroccan eggplant salad; sliced tomatoes drizzled with fruity olive oil; or celery and potato salad (serve in place of the yogurt sauce)
the yogurt sauce also tasted great with some fresh heirloom tomatoes!