recipe adapted from here
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut in strips
- 1 egg + 2 tbsp water whisked together to make an egg wash
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Juice squeezed from 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon hot chili paste or sauce (use more or less to taste if you don’t like it very hot)
- ½ teaspoon salt salt
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp ground ginger, 1 tsp salt.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg wash then dredge them in the flour mixture.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and lightly drizzle or the tops with a little more olive oil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes. Flip the pieces at halfway through the cooking time.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare your sauce. Don’t walk away from this sauce; it gets very hot when making the caramel base and can burn easily so pay careful attention while cooking it.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 4 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, orange juice, 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil, 2 tbsp hot chili paste or sauce, ½ tsp salt, 2 tsp corn starch, 3 cloves minced garlic and 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger. Set this mixture aside.
- In a medium saucepan boil together the 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons water.
- Boil this over medium heat, watching constantly until the caramel starts to turn a light amber color and you can begin to smell the caramel. When it reaches this stage, give the other ingredients in the bowl a quick stir to make sure the corn starch is dissolved then add it all at once to the hot caramel. (Careful: This mixture is very hot!)
- Be careful at this stage because this sauce can foam up considerably for a few seconds and it is very hot. Simmer for only few minutes and remove from the heat and allow to cool down slightly.
- Toss the sauce with the cooked chicken pieces and serve with broccoli over plain steamed rice.