This cake was pretty easy to make! If you’re like me and just want to make a little baby cake (which was more than enough for 6 people), all you need is three 3.5″ cake pans (I bought mine on Amazon) and two cupcakes worth of batter. This is equivalent to a recipe for one 9×9″ pan white cake.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil and place cake pans on top. Put 2 cupcake paper liners into a cupcake tin.
- Separate about 1/5 of the batter into a small bowl and mix in blue food coloring until you’re happy with the color. (Gel/powder food dye works best.) Pour into one of the little cake pans. Don’t fill the pans/ cupcakes more than 2/3 full.
- Pour white batter into one cupcake + one cake pan.
- Add red food dye to remaining batter and pour into remaining cake pan + cupcake. Don’t fill more than 2/3– if you have extra batter, make a few more cupcakes.
- Bake according to your recipe. Let cool. Place cakes in freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up.
- Remove cakes from freezer. Level all cakes. Slice the red + white cakes in half, creating two thinner cake layers. Do the same to the red + white cupcakes.
- Cut hole out of middle of blue cake layer. Cut cupcake layers into circles just wide enough to fit inside of hole in blue cake layer.
- Assemble cake following directions from link.
- Frost however you like, and enjoy!