I made this cake for Paul’s 21st birthday, and then again yesterday for his 24th! This time around we are both lactose-intolerant so I made a few adjustments in the recipe for that.
-1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-2/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa
-1 1/2 cup sugar
-1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup vegetable oil
-2 teaspoons vanilla
-3/4 cup milk (I used almond milk this time)
-2/3 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans. Then place parchment paper cut to size on the bottom of each pan and grease paper. Dust pans with cocoa.
- Sift dry ingredients together and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, milk and vanilla and beat for a couple of minutes until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add hot water and mix together.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for about 28-30 minutes. Batter will be very liquid.
- Cool for about 5 minutes in the pan. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Ganache- Recipe from here
- 10 oz. semisweet chocolate (Chopped or whole chocolate bar– NOT chips!- they won’t melt as well.)
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- Chop the chocolate into ¼ inch pieces. Place these pieces into a double boiler or a medium saucepan.
- Add the non-dairy milk. Stir constantly on low heat until all the chocolate pieces are melted. Once all the pieces are melted, remove from heat and whisk in any flavoring liquids if desired.
- Use the mixture while it’s warm or wait for it to cool depending on your application.
This recipe makes about 1 ¼ cups of Easy Vegan Ganache depending on the ratio of non-dairy milk.