Recipe from here:
- ¼ cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled whole tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked
- 4 Tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Start cashew cream – Soak cashews in 1 cup of water while you prepare the sauce. See Note.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof sauté pan over medium heat, add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add the red pepper flakes and dried oregano and cook for 1 minute more. Add the vodka and continue cooking until the mixture has reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes into the pan after the vodka has reduced. Add salt and black pepper. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and cook it in the oven for 1.5 hours.
- Finish cashew cream – While the sauce is cooking go back to your cashews soaking in water. Blend the cashews and water in a high powered blender for 2 minutes until cashews are completely blended. Set aside until sauce has completed cooking.
- Remove the pan with tomatoes from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Place the tomato mixture in a blender and puree in batches until the sauce is a smooth consistency. Return to the pan over low heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano. Add cashew cream and simmer for 10 minutes. Toss the pasta into the sauce. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh oregano on top.
If you don’t have a high powered blender to make the cashew cream you will need to soak cashews in water for 8 hours, or overnight. This will allow you to create a smooth cashew cream in a standard blender.