- 1 cup lentils, cooked
- 1 can garbanzo beans (14 oz)
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoky paprika
- 1 can tomato sauce (14 oz), or tomato paste + water
- 1 tablespoon relish
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
Serve with (Optional):
- Hamburger buns
- Pickles, Tabasco, quick pickled onions, jalapeños, extra mustard, coleslaw.
Add oil to a large saute pan and heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook on medium with salt & pepper until glistening.
Add the garlic, chili powder, paprika and 3/4 tsp salt. Stir to coat the veggies. Add the tomato sauce, relish, soy sauce, mustard and sugar / maple syrup and stir. Add the cooked lentils and garbanzo beans, and stir again. Cook on low for 5-10 minutes to warm through and to thicken a bit. Serve with warmed buns and condiments.
Store the sloppy joes in a lidded container for up to three days or freeze for up to two weeks.