made by paul!
recipe adapted from here
Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
6 green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil (sub olive oil if you don’t have sesame oil)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
4 tsp cornstarch
1/3 cup water
1. Spray inside of crock pot with cooking spray. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and salt and pepper them, stirring to cover each piece evenly. Place into bottom of slow cooker.
2. Cut off white off green onions: dice the white part, and set aside the green part for later. Combine onion whites, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Stir well. Pour over chicken. Cook on low two hours, or high for one.
3. When crock pot is nearly done: In a small bowl dissolve the cornstarch into the water. Add to crock pot and stir in well. If you’ve been cooking on low then turn heat up to high. Cover and allow to cook another 15 to 20 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken some. OR: pour chicken/sauce into a pan and add water/cornstarch mixture to it. Simmer on medium-low until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Spoon chicken over rice or noodles and top with sesame seeds and diced green parts of onion.
paul made this!
recipe from here
Slow Cooker Yucatan Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours high
Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
3 lbs chicken, boneless, skinless
1/2 cup crushed pineapples
2 oranges, zested, juiced
2 limes, juiced
1 lemon, zested, juiced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
10 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
1 Anaheim chili, fresh
Spice rub (recipe below)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
cilantro, corn or flour tortilla shells, cheese, red onion, sour cream, avocado
For the Spice Rub:
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
1 tablespoon oregano, crushed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
Pat the chicken dry. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and add chicken. Coat chicken in spice rub and mix well.
Take all remaining ingredients, except cornstarch, add to a blender, blend well. Remove 1/2 cup of sauce and set aside.
Pour remaining sauce over chicken, mix well.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours in slow cooker. Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred with two forks and set aside.
Strain drippings into a pan, bring to boil, mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water, whisk into pan juices, reduce to simmer and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
Pour over shredded chicken. Use reserved Yucatan sauce as a taco sauce. Enjoy!
i had 5 friends over for dinner last night– so with me and paul included, this served 7 people– this was all that was left by today! awesome recipe, will definitely make again.
recipe from here
Crockpot BBQ Beer Chicken
serves about 8-10
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 large)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces of beer (I used a classic amber) <– i actually used a pretty hoppy light amber beer.
32 ounces of barbecue sauce
Season chicken with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Add to crockpot, then add beer and 24 ounces of barbecue sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours, tossing once or twice if desired. After 8 hours, shred and add remaining barbecue sauce. Toss chicken to coat and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving to absorb everything. Serve as desired.
1. I’ve found that *thinner* barbecue sauce works better (such as Bone Suckin’ Sauce) than thicker sauce (like Sweet Baby Ray’s). If you choose to use a thicker sauce, you may want to add a little more beer (or liquid) in order for the sauce not to burn and thicken on the edges of the pot.
2. If you don’t want to use beer, you can try a ginger ale, chicken stock, or even water.
3. This makes a ton of chicken and I usually freeze immediately freeze a container for later.
adapted from: http://www.fullmeasureofhappiness.com/2012/01/10/sausage-kale-and-bean-soup-crock-pot/
sausage, kale, and bean soup (crock pot)
- 1/2 lb sausage (i used chorizo chicken sausage–i think sweet italian would be even better, though)
- 4 cups broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup dried white beans (i used navy beans)
- 1/2 cup dried lima beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 small potatoes
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (i used 1/2 C uncooked but rinsed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- additional water if needed
brown the garlic, onion, and sausage in a pan. transfer the garlic, onion, and sausage. add the broth, bay leaf, beans, potatoes, and quinoa– cover, and set to high. set for about 3 hours on high, or probably about 8 hours on low. then, add chopped kale and set for another 30 minutes on high.
adapted from http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/crockpot-quinoa-red-lentil-stew.php
i know the ingredients list might look intimidatingly long, but it’s mostly just a ton of spices– and they’re definitely worth it! this soup was delicious, and perfect for last night’s movie night with friends.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup uncooked small red lentils
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small butternut squash (OR 1 small head cauliflower OR 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded- optional (i didn’t use this and it was still delicious)
- 6 cups water or unsalted soup stock (i used 4 cups veg broth and 2 cups water)
- 1/2 tsp gr cumin
- 1/2 tsp gr fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp gr coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf or 1 sprig fresh
- 1 tsp dried basil or 1 Tbsp minced fresh
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary leaves or 1 sprig fresh
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp minced fresh herbs: parsley, cilantro or basil
- 2 cups chopped fresh greens: kale, chard, or spinach
- More Heat: Add 1/2 – 1 tsp green curry paste OR 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- Rinse the quinoa and red lentils in a bowl or pan, then drain into a colander
- Peel the carrots, slice lengthwise, then slice in thin pieces
- Wash and trim the celery stalks, then slice crosswise in thin pieces
- Cut butternut squash into small cubes
- Combine olive oil, quinoa, lentils, herbs & spices, fresh ginger and jalapeno in the crockpot
- Add the vegetables, except for the optional greens, and cover with the 6 cups water/ broth
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or more if needed
- 20 minutes before serving, turn the heat up to high and stir in optional greens
- Just before serving, add the minced fresh parsley, basil or cilantro, salt & pepper, and serve, removing the ginger slices, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, as you come across them